We strive to maintain a safe, friendly, and stable environment
providing flexible access to high quality MRI facilities while
keeping rules and regulations to a bare necessary minimum. The basic
set of guidelines all users are expected to know and follow are:
1. Only qualified Scanner Operators are allowed to run the
scanner. Normal operating hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
During these hours, normal, healthy adult participants can be scanned
by a single qualified Operator. Outside these hours, or whenever
children (16 and under), patients, or other special populations are
scanned, there must always be at least one additional Safety Trained
2. No participants can be scanned without prior, written
voluntary informed consent. Phantom scanning does not require ethical
3. All participants must have filled out a 1-page MRI Safety
Screening Form before entering the scanner environment (control
room and magnet room). These must be filed in the box labeled Form1
in the control room.
4. When scanning a participant or a phantom, the control
room logbook must be filled in (just a few entries). This is where
their Patient ID is found. It is important that we have this minimal
record of all scanning done.
5. When a participant is in the scanner, the Scanner Operator
can only leave the control room if another qualified Scanner Operator
agrees to take over and replace them in the control room.
6. Always return equipment back to its original location and
state. This includes making sure the equipment (stimulus PC,
projectors, headphones, cushions, etc) is completely ready to be
used by the next group.
7. Scanner bookings need to be cancelled 48 hours or more
before the booked time, otherwise a percentage of the booked scanner
hours will be charged for the cancelled time slot. This is to
ensure that cancelled hours are freed in time not to be wasted.
8. It is best to leave 30 min "open" time between bookings
by different research groups to reduce set-up/tear-down friction
9. All users need to be subscribed to our email list as this
is our main way of communicating with the community [details
The complete set of guidelines is available in our Manual [details